This redbrick lighthouse keepers house was built in 1857 to replace a wooden house that burnt down along with the wooden lighthouse and several other buildings in the area. When a steamship passing through the canal caught fire and winds spread the fire to land.
The new 60 foot tall lighthouse was built with dolomite limestone to make it fire proof.
Originally the front Door of the keepers house faced the canal, but in 1896 it was relocated to its present location to make room for further development.
A light keeper lived in the home until 1987, when the station became automated. The house has sat abandoned since.
Since 2004 advocacy groups have been trying to get heritage designation on the house.